The Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade has been around since 1924 and it’s just as much as a tradition as avoiding politics at the dinner table. The parade is held in Manhattan every year at 9:00 a.m. Eastern Standard Time. It has been televised nationally on NBC since 1952. This year, due to COVID-19, watching the festivities online or television is the ONLY way to see the parade. There will be no 2.5 mile parade.
The main changes are to the parade this year are:
- No 2.5 mile parade route through Manhattan
- The floats, balloons, performances will all be televised in front of the 34th Street store (as usual)
- All High School and College marching band performers have been deferred to 2021
- The only way to see it, is to watch on TV. Here’s how (below)
You can read all of the changes here.
Here are some of the new Thanksgiving Parade balloons for 2020:
- Red Tian from Ryan’s World
- The Boss Baby
Some of the balloons that are returning from previous parades are:
- “Believe” Stars
- Astronaut Snoopy
- Diary of a Wimpy Kid
- Hugg, Bjorn, JoJo and Fleck from Christmas Chronicles 2
- Love Flies Up To The Sky
- The Macy’s Stars
- Paw Patrol
- Pillsbury Doughboy
- Ronald McDonald
- Sinclair’s Dino
- Smokey Bear
- Sponge Bob
- Elf on the Shelf
- The Nutcracker
New Floats to Watch for 2020
- The Big Turkey Spectacular
- Christmas in Town Square
- Her Future is STEM-Sational
- Tom and Jerry’s Tourist Trap
You can see the full list of returning floats, marching bands and performances on Macy’s website there is full list of everything happening during the parade.
Generally, an estimated 3.5 million people would line the streets to watch in person while 50 million tune into the broadcast, this year, everyone will be looking for a way to watch on TV. If you are a cord cutter who’s into keeping traditions, here’s a quick, quick, rundown of different ways to stream the parade.
Since the event is being broadcast on NBC you can stream it live using the following services.
Many of these services offer a free trial period so you can feel it out and see if it’s for you.
ENJOY YOUR THANKSGIVING!